words to describe amounts Revision:
Notes: Use with countable nouns only: several - a few - dozens of - a piece of - a bit of Use with uncountable nouns only, (when discussing amounts, not size): little Use with countable and uncountable nouns:
hardly any - a lot ofVocabulary a dozen
- twelve, i.e.
- I'd like a dozen chocolate cookies, please.
- a mark made by wine or coffee, etc.
- There're stains on the table cloth; it looks like someone's spilt tea or coffee.
- only a few, or a little, i.e.
- There were hardly any people in the cinema.
- a small number, but suggesting more than ‘a few'
- I've texted him several times but he hasn't replied.
- (phrasal verb) to clean and/or tidy
- I'm going to clear up my room; it's in such a mess.
- not many
- We have a few apples and there're some bananas.