Past Simple - Past Continuous Revision:
actually - though Notes:Past Continuous
: was/were + ing
a) To describe an action happening at a certain time in the past, i.e.
- In 2005 I was living in Berlin.
- At nine last night we were watching TV.
b) The Past Continuous is also used to describe the background to a story, i.e.
- While I was studying Karen phoned me three times.
- They were playing football when the storm started.
- When she was working for the university she began to learn / learning Spanish.
Past Perfect: had + past participle
We use the Past Perfect to express that one action happened before another in the past, i.e.
vocabulary: cruel -
- I had finished the shopping when I met Mary for lunch.
- When we got to party most people had left.
- It was the best movie he'd ever seen.
*The Past Perfect uses the same time expressions as the Present Perfect, i.e.
- I had just finished cooking the meal when they arrived.
- He had already read the book so I gave it to his sister.
- She had known him since they were children.
- He'd worked there for ten years when he became the Director.
someone who takes pleasure in causing pain to othershuge -
very bigpowerful -
having the power or ability to do something, to influence events or
people, to have authority over otherssearching -
looking for something, someoneshortage -
not enough of something