linking words Revision:
clear up - at least
* To pull your socks up
= an idiom, meaning: to improve.
although - linking contrasting points, i.e.
due to - because of, i.e.
- Although she was only twenty five she became a director of the company.
- Flights have been cancelled due to weather conditions.
- Due to poor sales this last year we're going to have make some staff redundant.
firstly - to begin a list of points, i.e.
- Why does he need to retire? Well, firstly, he's too old to run a company that large. And, secondly, he's not in good health, the stress is too much for him.
furthermore / in addition - linking points in agreement, i.e.
- Yes, I do recommend the college. The academic standards are very high. Furthermore / In addition, the sports facilities are excellent.
however - linking contrasting points, i.e.
- We're not going to pay the restaurant's service charge because our food arrived late and the waiter was rude. In addition / Furthermore, the music was too loud and the manager wouldn't turn it down.
- That is what she told me, too. However, I don't think she's telling the truth.
- We liked the house very much. However, I'm afraid it's just a bit too expensive for us.