so - mixed conditional - present participle (‘demanding') - absolutely Vocabulary
absolutely - a strong 'yes' or agreement, i.e.
- Are you going to have a party for your brithday?
- Would you agree that climate change is one of the most urgent issues facing the world?
- Absolutely, yes I would.
brilliant news - very good news, i.e.
- Jan and Anthony getting married.
- Oh, that's brilliant news.
(the) Council / Town or City Council - the local governement in the UK.
(to) demand - to make a strong request, i.e.
- I demand that you refund fifty percent of our money: the hotel was not finished; the
food was terrible and the rooms were very dirty.
(to) demolish - to destroy, or knock down a building.
if it wasn't for the fact that - if X wasn't a reality, then Y would / would not
- Yes, I would drive over to see you, if it wasn't for the fact that it's snowing hard.
- If it wasn't for the fact that he's my brother, I wouldn't lend him the money.
in short - in a few words, i.e.
- It's got everything. A huge living room, a fantastic kitchen, three large bedrooms and one small, a beautiful garden and great views. In short, it's my dream house and I'm buying it.
it just goes to show - it proves, i.e.- She started playing the piano at fourteen and practised for five hours a day and now,
only twenty-two, she's playing concerts all over the world.- It just goes to show, if you really practice at something you love you can become
very good at it.
it's as simple as that - it is clear and easy to understand, i.e.
- At the age of fifty-five you shouldn't be doing hard exercise two hours a day. It's not good for your heart. It's as simple as that.
- You're late every day. From now on you come to work at nine or you lose your job. It's as simple as that.
(to have) second thoughts - to consider something again and perhaps change your
I'm in the habit of studying now so maybe it's better to keep going.
- I was going to travel for a year before university but now I'm having second thoughts.
got is good for another few years.
- She was going to buy a new car but she's having second thoughts. She says the car she's