: Present Perfect - Present Perfect Continuous Revision
: pretty + adjective - suggest + that - I must admit - I can't help thinking -
First Conditional Notes:
One important difference between the two tenses is that while they can essentially mean the same, (I've lived in Spain for five years. I've been living in Spain for five years.)
the Present Perfect Continuous focuses more the action. For example: She's been working all night suggests more effort and resulting tiredness than She's worked all night. Vocabulary
(to) beg - to humbly ask for something, (for example a street beggar asking for money)
but used informally to mean an intense asking, i.e.
(to) book - to reserve something, a ticket, theatre seats, a hotel room, etc. i.e.
- James is begging me to go on holiday with him but I can't afford it.
- The film company are begging me to direct the movie but I'm too busy with other projects.
(to) break up - (Phrasal verb) to end a romantic relationship, i.e.
- We've booked tickets for the concert and two double rooms at a hotel in the city centre.
I must admit
- Sally broke up with Rick last week.
- to acknowledge or accept a truth, i.e. - You don't like this job, do you?- Well, I must admit, I am getting very bored with it.I can't help thinking
- I might not want to think this, but I do, i.e. - It's going to mean a lot of work, and the food will be quite expensive.- I can't help thinking that you don't really want to get a dog, do you?possessive
- trying to dominate or control within a relationship, i.e. - John is so possessive, he doesn't let Rachel do anything on her own. She's thinking of
breaking up with him because of it. play it by ear
- (Idiom) to make a decision according to what happens in the situation rather
than make a plan before, i.e.- This is an important meeting. Have you thought about what you want to say?- No, because I can't predict what the others will say. I'll have to play it by ear. pretty
- (informal) here it means slightly less than ‘very' and strengthens the adjectives, i.e.
- The exam was pretty difficult.
- Rick was pretty upset after Sally broke up with him.