: Second Conditional Revision
: actually - expressions
: cost a bomb - drop the idea - torn betweenNotesSecond Conditional - If + Past Simple + would / could / might
would / could / might + if + Past Simple
For real but unlikely situations, i.e.
For unreal situations, i.e.
- If she ate better and exercised, she'd be healthier. (Probably she won't.)
- He'd be happier if his children worked harder at school. (Probably they won't.)
- If I was a premiership footballer I could retire at thirty.
- I wouldn't live in Hollywood, if I was a film star.
Vocabulary cost a bomb
- cost a lot of money, i.e.
drop the idea
- The holiday cost a bomb but it was worth it, we had a great time.
- forget it! i.e.
- Getting a dog? No way, you can drop that idea!
- the speaker can't decide between two options, i.e.
or my daughter in Australia.
- I can only have one holiday this summer and I'm torn between visiting my son in America