Verbs + prepositionsRevision:
by the way - Present Perfect - such + adjective Vocabulary(to) afford
- to have enough money for something, i.e.- I can't afford a holiday this year.- Can you afford to lend me fifty pounds?(to) argue
- to discuss something in a serious and possibly angry way with someone who
disagrees with you, i.e.- Dave and Sue spent the evening arguing about politics.- She doesn't *get on with her father. They always argue about everything.
*to get on (with) - (Phrasal verb) to have a good relationship with someone, i.e.
- I get on very well with my brother.
- She doesn't like her boss. They don't get on.
- to take or use something from someone else when you are going to give it
- Can I borrow your car on Friday?
- She's borrowing too much money from the bank: she'll never be able to pay it back.
- the required payment for something.historic
- (adjective) something famous or important about history, i.e.- Oxford and Cambridge are both historic cities.- The visit by the President was a historic occasion.
- the weekly spending money parents give their children.(to) rely on
- a) to depend on; need b) to trust, i.e a)
- He's ninety now and relies on his son to drive him to the supermarket and walk the dog.
- People don't buy so many newspapers now but rely on the internet for news.
- I'm relying on you to tell me the truth about what happened.
- She's relying on him to pay back the money he owes her before the end of the month.
- to have good judgement in practical matters, i.e. - I worry about her going to this party, she's only just sixteen.- Don't worry, she's very sensible and I'll *pick her up at eleven.
* to pick someone up - (Phrasal verb) collect someone in a car or on foot, i.e.
take your point
- Can you pick me up at the station at nine o'clock, please?
- a) to agree with what someone has said; b) to say that you think they are
making a reasonable point in the discussion but might not agree, i.e.a) - This is not the right time to sell our house. The market isn't good for sellers.- All right, I take your point. Let's wait till next year.
- Robot technology will cause the loss of jobs.- I take your point, but I think the technology will create more jobs, too.